Alba Local Energy Agency – ALEA established in 2008 is a nongovernmental nonprofit organization that aims to contribute to the sustainable development of Alba County by improving the current situation in energy efficiency, energy management and energy use from renewable sources. The agency aims on one hand to become a competent authority in promoting sustainable development in Alba County by reinforcing the current energy and on the other hand to be a decisive factor in changing the mentality of people regarding their behavior as consumers of energy.
Main objectives of the Agency:
- Formulation of energy policy at county level;
- Support given to local authorities in the development and implementation of local action plans for sustainable energy;
- Promoting energy efficiency projects in economic entities, buildings belonging to public institutions, housing, public utility systems;
- Promote the implementation of systems for producing energy from renewable sources in Alba County;
- Raising awareness and educating intelligent energy both citizens and decision-makers from local government and the private sector.
Since its establishment, ALEA recommend itself by:
- Contribution to the realisation of The Energy Masterplan of Alba County – the first county-level in Romania having issued the environmental permit;
- Supporting 10 local authorities that signed the Convention of Mayors – the European large-scale initiative – the creation and implementation of Sustainable Energy Action Plans;
Alba Local Energy Agency Alba is a recognized supporter by the European Commission regarding “Covenant of Mayors – CoM” Initiative assuming its promotion and provide full technical support to public authorities – CoM signatories; This support covers the initial analysis of energy consumption and the monitoring (inventory of energy consumption and CO2 emissions) identifying local resources of renewable energy, implementation of the Sustainable Energy Action Plan – SEAP, leading to ensure complete management of these processes.
- Consultancy for energy management in local government and European funds for energy;
- Organizing seminars and workshops on topics related to renewable energy, energy efficiency, energy management, efficient public lighting and sustainable urban mobility;
- Organizing the annual event “ALEA RES Fair – Renewable Energy Sources – Equipment & Complete Solutions” – a key event in the development of local markets for applications of energy production from renewable sources and energy efficiency;
- Successful organizing a campaign among high school teenagers called “eCOol”, in which students from the Alba County creates clothes from recycled or recyclable materials,
- Supporting education classes in schools and kindergartens in Alba Iulia;
- Support the promotion and implementation of national programs such as: “Casa Verde” (Green House) for individuals, “Casa Verde” for public institutions and the thermal rehabilitation of housing blocks;
- Participation in the mapping of wind potential in Alba County;
- Promotion of projects for the use of energy from renewable sources (micro-hydro, wind, photovoltaic) in Alba County;
- In addition to the strategic partnership with Alba County Council for the sustainable development of the county, ALEA has as main partners: Alba Iulia City Hall, The “1 December 1918” University from Alba Iulia and Centru Regional Development Agency;
- ALEA is a member of: FEDARENE – European Federation of Agencies and Regions for Energy, FAREN – Romanian Federation of Energy Agencies, RenERg EuReg – Energy cluster in the “Centru” Region of Romania and the LAG MMTMM Action Group.
Involvement in more than 15 European projects under the “Intelligent Energy Europe” program; These projects cover areas such as sustainable energy in buildings (nZEB), efficient public lighting, rational use of energy in homes, developing the capacity of local communities to use renewable energy sources, achieving an regional energy observatory, green public procurement, sustainable urban mobility and promoting the use of electric vehicles.